Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 01:32:57 +0200

On 12. Okt 2005, at 01:11 Uhr, Wim Oudshoorn wrote:
So it might be better to wait until the dust settles and
pick a nice version control system when it is clear which
ones are viable and fit the project best.

What I'm missing are reasons _against_ going to Subversion (aka upgrading to CVS 2.0 instead of sticking with 1.0), that is, what one would loose over CVS (I think the gains are known).

I fully agree with your statement above, but since this won't be sorted out in the next 12 months (probably not in the next 36 months) I find it rather weird to wait such a long time with a relatively minor upgrade. And even worse, it might even result in the same choice :-)

Well, there are two reasons which I heard in the discussion:
a) there is no Svn admin support on GNU servers
b) Svn is not a viable option for GNU projects due to licensing issues (is this
   really true?)
Personally I have no issues with either of them, but then I'm not a major GNUstep contributor either and it might indeed be an important problem for GNUstep.

I just want to restate that _technically_ there should be little questions, it certainly doesn't solve all issues with CVS but quite a number of them. Svn is a mature and proven software which already has replaced plenty of CVS installations.

The reason people are using Svn is definitely not "hype" as some other people suggested in the thread. Its just a straightforward replacement for CVS which has proven itself in various major deployments over some quite a long time now.

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/