Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:31:25 +0200

Am 12.10.2005 um 03:10 schrieb MJ Ray:

In practical terms, this makes any GPL application linking with
[Subversion] undistributable, IIRC.

There's no need to _link_ with the VC system.

According to http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/INSTALL
the prerequisites for compiling include the Apache Web Server.

They recommend using apache strongly, but also offer the more lightweight "svnserve". Using apache, you get web access to the repository for almost free, AFAIK.

Selecting the client package on a debian testing machine invites
nearly 5Mb to install, compared with just over 1Mb for CVS.

Yes, it's a rarther complex and heavyweight package. I even count some 12 MB for a thinned out, self-compiled Mac OS X client, here. This is mostly a problem svn developers have to live with, though. I doesn't map to it's usage.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/