The need for GNUstep.sh

From: Günther Noack
Subject: The need for GNUstep.sh
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:41:13 +0200

Hi!

Am 17.04.2006 um 08:32 schrieb Yen-Ju Chen:
I have a GNUstep application which will be loaded when the xsession start.
It is done by saving session in gnome.
It always fails to load because the GNUstep.sh is not set when the
application is loaded.

Why don't the applications run that script themselves, anyway?

I know that they're not shell interpreters, but everything done within that
script can also be done in ObjC. I don't see why GNUstep currently has
two 'bootstrapping points': The fixed location config file in /etc *and*
GNUstep.sh in the makefile directory.

Why don't GNUstep apps launch the necessary services themselves when
they are not present? GNOME and KDE apps do that, too, and people don't
get angry about it. Being forced to source the GNUstep.sh script by hand is also a big hurdle when first working with GNUstep and may many people lead
to deinstall it instantly when applications don't run.

-Günther