Re: [ANN] Azalea preview

From: Günther Noack
Subject: Re: [ANN] Azalea preview
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:38:21 +0200

Hi!

Am 25.04.2006 um 21:06 schrieb Yen-Ju Chen:
  These are the improvements in my mind:

  1.  Use GSXML instead of libxml.
       It will be one-to-one porting. Azalea read XML into DOM.
       Currently, GNUstep supports SAX in NSXMLParser
       and DOM in GSXML.
So if someday someone wrap the GSXML into NS* class as in Cocoa,
       we may need to rewrite again.

I had these issues with the parser in RSSKit, too, when trying to port
it to Cocoa. I ended up with a very simple DOM implementation that's
based on NSXMLParser instead of libxml2 (as in the GSXML classes),
which is mostly compatible to the GSXML API. It's definitely not a
complete implementation, though.

However, using GSXML for XML parsing is quite safe, because you
can just add those small DOM classes and adjust some class names
in you code to rely on NSXMLParser instead of GSXML.

You can find those classes in RSSKit in the Etoile SVN.

-Günther