Re: really attracting developers

From: Andrew Satori
Subject: Re: really attracting developers
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:26:33 -0400

Because of the way that GnuStep draws it's controls, there isn't a way to make it dynamically adapt to the look of the current desktop environment (unless I missed something obvious). The complaint that I got was that the menu structures in the GnuStep app didn't 'fit' in the Gnome or KDE desktops that are the default installations in 99% of the Linux installations these days. Personally, I was hoping that the old SimplyGnustep(prometheus) or Backbone project would get to a point where you could install a fully GnuStep arranged OS, ala Mac OS X, where the Gnome and KDE Apps are the ones that are 'out of place'.

In ther interim, people that ask, I point them to the LiveCD and advise the use that to get started, and if needed I then spend the time with them to get a Debian or Ubuntu based install up and running. So far, only one has gone that far.

And

/* Satori & Associates, Inc. ************************************************/

its the same for any application. apps are always developed with a
particular look and feel. unless they are build to look native
wherever they run.

yes setup should ideally be just a single copy. from installation of
the entire system to application updates. although im very biased
towards a document centric paradigm where this issue is simply
nonexistent.

--
things i hate about my linux pc:

1. it takes more than a second to boot up
2. keeps asking about filenames and directories
3. does not remember what i was working on yesterday
4. does not remember all the changes i have ever made
5.cannot figure out necessary settings by itself