Re: SimpleWebKit (was GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty))

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: SimpleWebKit (was GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty))
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 17:06:23 +0100

Am 06.03.2007 um 15:54 schrieb Gregory John Casamento:

There hasn't been skepticism, just the idea that if we do it from scratch we will be duplicating the efforts of the KHTML and Apple teams working on WebKit.

I believe that both approaches have merit. If we can get something working with a from scratch solution, then I believe it's a good thing. But, such an implementation will always have issues with bad webpages that many of the other browsers can handle.

Yes, I agree that this is the most crucial aspect for real life useage. I have started to load other pages: www.apple.de fails because it wants JavaScript. www.apple.com fails somewhere in my HTML scanner. And so, bugs come to the surface.

Many other browsers also have issues with pages that others can handle. A common situation is that although WebKit is one of the best implementations, Web designers have a tendency to optimize for the second or third best and break operation for Safari/WebKit. Safari still has the "Submit error to Apple..." menu function. So, coming to a more or less appropriately working html engine is more a community process than engineering or coding.

And, all these projects have started being worse than existing browsers. But they managed to catch up by feedback. And now, HTML 4 is quite stable, so I think we can use the superior implementation speed of Objective-C to catch up much faster. Let's see how far we come...

Nikolaus