Re: compile error: /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lAddressView

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: compile error: /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lAddressView
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:24:33 -0700

On 6/26/07, Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com> wrote:
于 Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:24:28 -0700
"Yen-Ju Chen" <yjchenx@gmail.com> 写道:

> On 6/26/07, Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com> wrote:
> > Dear all
> >
> > In order to experience the latest development of gnustep I decided
> > (follow suggestion on this list) to compile it myself, on my Ubuntu
> > 7.04
> >
> > Basic packages compile & install just fine without any error
> > message nor complains. I used GNUStep Startup package collection
> > which install 4 basic packages for me all together.
> >
> > Then compile gnumail, not surprisingly it asked for Pantomime, so
> > grab the latest source package from Pantomime website and installed
> > it. Then gnumail complain lack of Addresses. Also get the latest
> > version from website (0.4.6) and this time I cannot compile
> > Addresses.
> >
> > Type "make" end up with this error message:
> > Making all for app AddressManager...
> >  Linking app AddressManager ...
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lAddressView
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make[2]: *** [AddressManager.app/./AddressManager] Error 1
> > make[1]: *** [AddressManager.all.app.variables] Error 2
> > make[1]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/zhangweiwu/Desktop/Addresses-0.4.6/AddressManager' make: ***
> > [internal-all] Error 2
> >
> > Looks like I am lacking something called AddressView. I do find a
> > package on Ubuntu called libaddressview-dev but having it installed
> > doesn't help (I guess ubuntu simply installed libaddressview-dev to
> > the wrong path because base packages are compiled by myself which
> > might be located in /usr/local/lib/GNUStep )
> >
> > I try to look for a package called addressview or libaddressview on
> > gnustep.org website, nothing found. Also not so much reference of
> > such package exist on the web.
> >
> > So where do I go from here?
>
>   Addresses is now hosted in GAP (http://www.nongnu.org/gap/).
>   It may work out of box.
>   There is another copy in Etoile, which should also work,
>   but it is split into framework and application part.
>   You can get it with
>   'svn co
> http://svn.gna.org/svn/etoile/stable/Etoile/Frameworks/AddressesKit'
> 'svn co
> http://svn.gna.org/svn/etoile/stable/Etoile/Services/User/AddressManager`
> (Check the path in case I misspell it).

It seems I need to checkout whole of etoile tree before I can compile
AddressKit/AddressManager which I am doing because
http://svn.gna.org/svn/etoile/etolie.make (and perhaps others) is
needed to compile AddressKit.

 I would consider it is a bug, and will be fixed later.

I am just a bit curious why there is etoile project because the other
GNU project "GNOME" host all base library, application, documentation
and frameworks together in one project website. Is etoile also a GNU
project or a project outside of GNU? Just curious because this doesn't
seems to be mentioned on the website.

 Etoile is not a GNU project.
 GNUstep is strictly a development environment
 and there are many projects using it for applications.
 Some of them are hosted under GNUstep,
 like GWorkspace and SystemPreferences,
 and many are not.

 GNOME use GTK, KDE us Qt.