Re: compile error: /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lAddressView

From: Zhang Weiwu
Subject: Re: compile error: /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lAddressView
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:07:09 +0800

On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 22:34 -0700, Yen-Ju Chen wrote:
>   I use Ubuntu/PPC and build GNUstep from source.
>   I have never had this problem though.

I do have an iBook running Ubuntu 7.04 and I wish/can/will get GNUStep
running there by compile from source, because that way at least I am in
the same environment as a gnustep developer or frequent user. The
platform independent feature of gnustep systems are also IMHO a problem
of gnustep systems, that is if what you want is truly a system working
as problem-free as possible, you don't get a "recommended tested
environment". Such "recommended, tested, stable, working environment" is
a vital requirement for working people like me who wish to experiment or
use GNUStep for work. And as long as people don't use it for daily work
(kind of "work" independent of GNUStep development), GNUStep is going to
keep being an opensource developer's toy. With people using it for real
work is a real big difference that makes an opensource project
outstanding and successful (that's my understanding as an End user).

One idea or possibility of bringing GUNStep systems into working
environment is to expand and further test the GNUStep live CD project to
make it an installable distribution or a sub-project of a certain
distribution (GNUStep-ubuntu?). Just if people think this can be a good
idea and there are people willing to work on it.

Another question in case you have time and in case you are Chinese: did
you try to use one of the opensource Chinese font in GNUStep or even
further make some effort to make GNUStep-in-Chinese easy-to-install and
usable? e.g. fonts like wenquanyi (or GNU Unifont) might be equipped
with GNUStep to make I18N/L10N easier. Later when I have Ubuntu + PPC +
GNUStep-compiled-from-source environment I'll try it myself when I got
time.