Re: compile error: /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lAddressView

From: Ingolf Jandt
Subject: Re: compile error: /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lAddressView
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:42:22 +0200

It astonishes me you run into such a giant bunch of problems. Did you follow the ubuntu platform notes from the wiki? It was mostly written by me. If it is inaccurate, please tell me of its errors -- or correct them yourself.

Many incompatibilities may be result of the change to gnustep-make 2.0, where many application releases still rely on deprecated 1.0 features. In so far the advice to use a svn version instead of ready- made packages may not be so wise, exspecially for people who only want to use (or develop) GNUstep applications, and not develop the GNUstep libraries themselves. If you decide to use up-to-date GNUstep core, you will allmost certainly have to use svn/cvs/Monotone versions of the apps too, above all because of the mentioned recent make change.

It is great to hear that you want to use the GNUstep apps. Still you must keep in mind that GNUstep is so far great for developers, whilst not offering a complete user experience. Etoile is so far not in a usable state, and a "GNUstep desktop" limited more or less to GWorkspace+SystemPreferences, GNUmail, TextEdit and Terminal, plus a helper apps (synthiune, preview, vindaloo ...) and games. There is no stable window manager, web browser, instant messanger, word processor, spreadsheat, movie player, font manager, printer manager, calendar ...

Good and successfull stepping!
Ingolf