Re: NSInvocation return value location

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: NSInvocation return value location
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 09:08:05 +0100

Hello Ricardo,

Am Montag, den 01.12.2008, 23:13 +0100 schrieb Riccardo Mottola:

> > Having only one implementation would be simpler, certainly.  Ffcall
> > seems to
> > be built by default (it's what I had without specifying which  to
> > use).  Are
> > there some platforms where only ffcall works?  If not,  I'd be in
> > favour of
> > deprecating it...
>
> I also think there are applications which work better with ffcall than
> ffi? I think TalkSoup was one of those, in certain releases at least.

And these issues /may/ have been fixed since then.

What we need is concrete bug reports of issues and test cases to observe
whether or not to prefer ffcall over libffi for certain platforms.

But unless we have that data, I agree that we should prefer libffi by
default.

Last release of ffcall: ~February 2006
http://www.haible.de/bruno/packages-ffcall-README.html

Last release of libffi: November 11, 2008
http://sourceware.org/libffi/

Any issues we find with libffi should be fixed either in libffi or our
usage of it.

Cheers,
David