Re: NSInvocation return value location

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: NSInvocation return value location
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 09:22:44 +0100

Hello Ricardo,

Am Montag, den 01.12.2008, 23:12 +0100 schrieb Riccardo Mottola:
> Hi,
>

> > Having only one implementation would be simpler, certainly.  Ffcall
> > seems to
> > be built by default (it's what I had without specifying which  to
> > use).  Are
> > there some platforms where only ffcall works?  If not,  I'd be in
> > favour of
> > deprecating it...
>
> ffcall works usually very well for me and it has some supported
> platforms which work less well with ffi.

Could you create a bug report for things that art not working with
libffi for you particular platform?

Try running the test suite, in particular base/NSProxy tests should
stress libffi/ffcall.  Actually IIRC I added some expected failures for
some extremely obscure cases.  I should probably deactivate them by
default somehow.  So don't panic if e.g. the bit field tests fail.

> Actually, sometimes, ffcall works really well but its configure script
> gets the parameters wrong, unfortuantely upstream does not mess its
> absurd configure file.
> The NetBSD guys patched it in their pkgsrc now.... but so it goes on
> years and years of patches.

But I'm sure there is also a current libffi package for NetBSD, correct?

Cheers,
David