Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:07:35 +0100

Nicola Pero wrote:

> On 15 Dec 2008, at 08:46, David Ayers wrote:
>
>> Am Freitag, den 12.12.2008, 16:42 -0600 schrieb Stefan Bidigaray:
>>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 2:55 PM, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>        On 12 Dec 2008, at 20:58, Fred Kiefer wrote:
>>>
>>>                And we really should add that "make sysinstall" hack
>>>                to GNUstep make
>>>                before the next release to make live easier for the
>>>                people out that that
>>>                want to stick with the old structure.
>>>

>>>        Please do!  Being able to blow away Local without destroying
>>>        the GNUstep install is really useful for testing.  Before
>>>        GNUstep started installing itself in the wrong place, I used
>>>        to do this every couple of weeks to make sure clean builds of
>>>        Étoilé worked on my machine.
>>>
>>> Well, this really doesn't affect me since I've been using
>>> GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN for a while now, anyway.  I'm still not
>>> convinced adding a new target is the right thing to do, and even if
>>> it's implemented by the next release I'll probably still use the
>>> current mechanism.  But that's not here or there.
>>
>> The ability to delete "Local" without deleting the "core" packages
>> (whatever that may mean to any particular developer) sounds like a
>> reasonable request.  But in my view a -make target like "sysinstall"
>> doesn't seem like the right approach.
>
> I agree.
>
> I think we should go back to my original proposal - that of having a new
> option to gnustep-make's
> configure.
>
> Something like (we will find a shorter name, obviously)
>
>  ./configure --install-core-into-system-by-default
>
> gnustep-make would then automatically install all the core packages into
> System by default
> instead of Local, where they would otherwise go (I can implement all of
> this easily if there's
> agreement on it).
>
> So, "core" developers (ie, us) would only need to configure our
> gnustep-make in that
> way and get the old behaviour. :-)

Sounds fine for me, I only configure make once per week, whereas I
compile gui or back about three times per day. Having to remember that
new line (make GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM install) is really
annoying and setting GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN globally isn't an
option, as I don't want to install all the application I just try once
in System. Richard's other ideas would be workable, but every GNUstep
developer will need that, why not support it directly.

Fred