Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:18:09 +0000

On 15 Dec 2008, at 11:00, David Chisnall wrote:

I still don't fully understand the rationale for moving system packages out of System.

That would be because system packages haven't been moved out of System there's no plan to ever move them.

What's happened is a change to avoid people (GNUstep newbies in particular) accidentally overwriting system packages with their non- system locally built versions.

Packagers should continue to provide their packages to install in the appropriate place for their system ... eg. I'd expect the core GNUstep stuff to be installed in the System domain on an Etilie-live CD.