Re: New Slackware + GNUstep

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: New Slackware + GNUstep
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:42:45 -0600

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 2:55 PM, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:

On 12 Dec 2008, at 20:58, Fred Kiefer wrote:

And we really should add that "make sysinstall" hack to GNUstep make
before the next release to make live easier for the people out that that
want to stick with the old structure.

Please do!  Being able to blow away Local without destroying the GNUstep install is really useful for testing.  Before GNUstep started installing itself in the wrong place, I used to do this every couple of weeks to make sure clean builds of Étoilé worked on my machine.

Well, this really doesn't affect me since I've been using GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN for a while now, anyway.  I'm still not convinced adding a new target is the right thing to do, and even if it's implemented by the next release I'll probably still use the current mechanism.  But that's not here or there.

Just FYI, for this release I'm going to submit the scripts to SlackBuilds.org.  If I'm not too lazy I'll probably generate Slackware build scripts not just GNUstep core but most of the apps (including Etoile), as well.  Should be fun!

Stefan