Installing GNUstep on Mac OS X/Intel or Ubuntu

From: Torli Birnbauer
Subject: Installing GNUstep on Mac OS X/Intel or Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:41:52 -0400

Hi,

Can you please help me decide which path should I follow to move to GNUstep environment. I have a choice to use either Ubuntu i386, or OS X (Tiger) on Mac Mini/Intel for my introduction to GNUstep, however I found it very disappointing that neither Ubuntu nor my Mac Mini platforms are mentioned as supported on your web page.

When I first discovered the relationships between NeXTstep, Apple and Mac OS X Cocoa, I was eager to learn how to install GNUstep on my Mac Mini, however disappointingly I discovered that only MacOSX/PowerPC is listed on the the platform-specific page dealing with GNUstep installation. I also could not find anything about Ubuntu except an old blog from 2005. I did, however, found GNUstep in my Synaptic Package Manager on Ubuntu, and I would like to install it, however, I have no idea where to start. It is hard to select from some 80+ choices that are somehow related to GNUstep, with absolutely no documentation whatsoever, and especially because I am not sure if the port for Ubuntu is actually complete and works. I am running Ubuntu 8.04 - the Hardy Heron - released in April 2008. Indeed my other option is Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger).

So my question is twofold, (a) which of these two options (Ubuntu or Mac Mini) is better, and (b) where can I find some guidance how to install?

Thank you in advance,
Torli.