Re: Installing GNUstep on Mac OS X/Intel or Ubuntu

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Installing GNUstep on Mac OS X/Intel or Ubuntu
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 00:14:51 +0100

Am 10.03.2009 um 22:41 schrieb Torli Birnbauer:

Hi,

Can you please help me decide which path should I follow to move to GNUstep environment. I have a choice to use either Ubuntu i386, or OS X (Tiger) on Mac Mini/Intel for my introduction to GNUstep, however I found it very disappointing that neither Ubuntu nor my Mac Mini platforms are mentioned as supported on your web page.

When I first discovered the relationships between NeXTstep, Apple and Mac OS X Cocoa, I was eager to learn how to install GNUstep on my Mac Mini, however disappointingly I discovered that only MacOSX/ PowerPC is listed on the the platform-specific page dealing with GNUstep installation. I also could not find anything about Ubuntu except an old blog from 2005. I did, however, found GNUstep in my Synaptic Package Manager on Ubuntu, and I would like to install it, however, I have no idea where to start. It is hard to select from some 80+ choices that are somehow related to GNUstep, with absolutely no documentation whatsoever, and especially because I am not sure if the port for Ubuntu is actually complete and works. I am running Ubuntu 8.04 - the Hardy Heron - released in April 2008. Indeed my other option is Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger).

So my question is twofold, (a) which of these two options (Ubuntu or Mac Mini) is better, and (b) where can I find some guidance how to install?

You can install GNUstep using the Synaptic Package Manager just fine, but the packages will be a bit outdated then. What you need to get a working base system is:

gnustep-make
gnustep-base-runtime
gnustep-gui-runtime
gnustep-back0.14-art

this are just the minimally required libraries to get a running GNUstep system with graphical user interface capabilities.

You then would need to install additional applications to run, for instance the "gnustep-devel" package to get some applications for development like Gorm.app and ProjectCenter.app

If you search for ".app" in the Synaptic Package Manager you'll easily get a list of applications available for GNUstep (and some misfires ;-))

or you decide just to install the "gnustep" meta package which will install all and everything in GNUstep available for Ubuntu.

If you are not satisfied with what Ubuntu offers you you or you want to have the greatest and latest (but sometimes also buggiest ;-)) you can always compile from source, even after you've installed GNUstep using the Synaptic Package Manager. But never forget: once you've done this you must install everything from source then since the packages which the Synaptic Package Manager provides are compiled against the version of GNUstep that comes with the Synaptic Package Manager.

Compiling from source is a little more complicated.

At first you need to install the following development style packages (you can do this again using the Synaptic Package Manager):

for gnustep-base:

libffi-dev
libssl-dev
libxml2-dev
libxslt1-dev

for gnustep-gui:

libjpeg62-dev
libtiff4-dev
libpng12-dev
libungif4-dev

for gnustep-back:

libart-2.0-dev
libcairo2-dev
libfreetype6-dev
libx11-dev
libxft-dev
libxmu-dev

for gdl2 (GNUstep Database Library):

postgresql
postgresql-server-dev-8.3
libsqlite3-dev

then you'll do the following in a terminal session (only the lines without # at the beginning matter, those which start with # are comments):

# create the directory for the GNUstep-sources and fetch the GNUstep- sources
mkdir GNUstep-update
cd GNUstep-update/
svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/modules

cd modules

# I want to install in System to replace what came with Ubuntu, so copy installation-domais.conf to the right place
sudo cp core/make/installation-domais.conf /etc/GNUstep/

# edit installation-domais.conf
sudo nano /etc/GNUstep/installation-domais.conf
# add renaissance, gdl2 in above file to GNUSTEP_PACKAGES_TO_INSTALL_INTO_SYSTEM_BY_DEFAULT, don't forget to add a backslash at the end of each line

# install gnustep-make
cd core/make/
./configure --with-layout=fhs-system
make
sudo make install

# symlink GNUstep.sh into /etc/profile.d/ so it gets sourced for every user sudo ln -s /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh /etc/profile.d/ GNUstep.sh

# install gnustep-base
cd ../base/
./configure
make
sudo make install

# install gnustep-gui
cd ../gui/
./configure
make
sudo make install

# install gnustep-back
cd ../back/
./configure --enable-graphics=art --with-name=art
make
sudo make install
defaults write NSGlobalDomain GSBackend libgnustep-art

# install renaissance
cd ../../dev-libs/renaissance/
sudo -E make GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM install

# install Gorm.app
cd ../../dev-apps/gorm/
make
sudo -E make install

# install gdl2
cd ../../dev-libs/gdl2/
./configure
make
sudo make GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM install

# install ProjectCenter.app
cd ../../dev-apps/projectcenter/
sudo -E make GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM install

# now try if everything works
cd ~

openapp Gorm
openapp DBModeler
openapp ProjectCenter

If you have questions please ask on the mailing list.

Thank you in advance,
Torli.

regards,

        Lars