Re: ANNOUNCE: Terminal v0.9.5

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Terminal v0.9.5
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 23:18:55 -0400

Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Jeff,

if you check, Terminal was imported into GAP 18 months ago, after a troubled
decision. Greg imported it and I discussed it long, I wrote to Alex before
such a move, I seeked collaboration. It did not come and things went into
oblivion, Gregory just imported it into GAP. A new release was planned since
about FOSDEM, but personal problems as well as work problems kept - by bad
luck - both me and Gregory from doing it.

You keep saying "I wrote to Alex", when he hasn't been the only maintainer since 2003, when we started the Backbone project together with Nicolas Roard.

As for copying the Backbone source into GAP, so what? That's what the license is designed for, so people can use the code. Seriously, why should I have ever cared that you had copied it into your repository? Hell, if you had asked I would have helped you copy the history as well, because that's useful stuff.

I resumed active maintenance on Terminal (and, of course, the rest of Backbone) when I moved the master tree into git in July 2008 (indeed, CVS had been holding up development for some time due to its horrendous handling of branches), fixing bugs and setting up the foundation for the non-maintenance development I got back to a few weeks ago (between college and my kids, my time is not always my own). You should be able to relate to this, since you haven't done much with your own version of Terminal either, aside from getting it to work on your computers.

I don't care at all if you want to have your own version of Terminal, just don't try to take it away from Backbone; if you're going to be maintaining a separate tree, changing the app's name is only the right thing to do. Last night, Greg told me he liked the name "Terminus" for the GAP term program, and I think that would do nicely.