Re: How to compile backend xlib based on debian lenny's gnustep-gui

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: How to compile backend xlib based on debian lenny's gnustep-gui
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 18:01:22 +0200

Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Fred Kiefer wrote:
>> What you are missing is the shared memory extension for your X server.
>> What is strange is that we try to detect this during the configure
>> phase. Perhaps we aren't checking that configure flag in all places the
>> need to do so. The one I could find where this isn't done was
>> back/Source/x11/XWindowBuffer.m and as far as I remember the xlib
>> backend isn't using this file.
> If I remove the file XWindowBuffer.m and remove the reference to this
> file in GNUMakefile then the source gets compiled as before and in
> runtime I got the error message as before, so could there be other
> places where shared memory extension is used?

There is a second call to XShmQueryVersion in context.c, but this is
protected by #ifdef XSHM
If this fails for you, then your system is in a state where configure
detects XSHM, but it isn't usable.

I still suggest that you install the libXext development package. Jeff
Teunissen wrote that this is called libxext-dev.