Re: How to compile backend xlib based on debian lenny's gnustep-gui

From: Zhang Weiwu
Subject: Re: How to compile backend xlib based on debian lenny's gnustep-gui
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 09:24:08 +0800

Fred Kiefer wrote:
> There is a second call to XShmQueryVersion in context.c, but this is
> protected by #ifdef XSHM
> If this fails for you, then your system is in a state where configure
> detects XSHM, but it isn't usable.

If this package search command output is of help to tell my case:

$ aptitude search libxext
p   libxext-dev                     - X11 miscellaneous extensions library (deve
i A libxext6                        - X11 miscellaneous extension library
p   libxext6-dbg                    - X11 miscellaneous extensions library (debu

Where "i" means installed, "p" means available & not installed.

> I still suggest that you install the libXext development package. Jeff
> Teunissen wrote that this is called libxext-dev.

I am purely interested to spend a few minutes to see if this is solvable
without libxext, not that I hate to use it:)

And the result is YES. Following your advice I got it running without
libxext. If it is not really needed in xlib backend, do you think it
nice to have dependency to libxext removed in next release? I am working
on improving "Build Guide for Unix" and will update document if you
update the source code.