Re: GNUstep @ FOSDEM 2010 6th and 7th February 2010

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: GNUstep @ FOSDEM 2010 6th and 7th February 2010
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:19:03 +0100

On 19 Oct 2009, at 23:36, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:

currently only 4 people (including myself) have declared intend to come to FOSDEM 2010. This is not to overwhelming if you ask me. Btw, how about you, Nikolaus? Are you planning a FOSDEM presence? I am also looking for some co-organisers for our FOSDEM presence. You did already this two (or more?) times in the past so I'd appreciate your experience here.

I can't guarantee I'll make it - I hoped to last year, but then found that it clashed with a big deadline - but I at least plan on trying to. I'd be happy to give some Étoilé-related talks if anyone's interested, and maybe talk a bit about the current state of Objective- C compiler / runtime support.

For the more general audience, I'd suggest a talk like 'Porting Mac OS X applications to Linux and Windows with GNUstep'. I recently recorded a video porting one of the Apple developer examples to FreeBSD with GNUstep, and the total porting time was about 5 minutes (including pausing to explain what's going on), so that is quite feasible to do in a presentation, even with some pauses to tweak the UI slightly for different platforms if required.

Hopefully by then Gregory will have committed his new-and-shiny Windows theme support and we can show GNUstep applications looking a bit more native on Windows. I did have a GNUstep build environment running on Darwine, so that might also be quite nice to demo; set up an external build system target in XCode to invoke pbxbuild in WINE and and generate a Windows installer from XCode, copy to a Windows machine, install and run.

David

-- Send from my Jacquard Loom