Re: Vindaloo - open a PDF from the command line

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Vindaloo - open a PDF from the command line
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:43:57 +0200

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On 14 Apr 2010, at 23:10, Gregory Casamento wrote:

One thing that should be noted is that OSX will accept things on the
command line without the "NSOpen" option.   I tested this.   I don't
think this works on GNUstep.

It doesn't happen automatically on GNUstep ... that would presumably need some support in NSApplication to look through the command line for file names, and try to open each one.

Unless it is just left up to the individual application to support it ... in which case it *would* work on GNUstep if you ported an app which happens to open its command line arguments.

Certainly not all applications on OSX will open command line arguments as documents (I just tried TextEdit which does, and MuseScore which doesn't) but that might just be because some apps don't support the standard mechanisms for opening documents (eg. this feature might only work for apps using NSDocumentController).

From Apple's (older) AppKit release notes (in the Section Changes between OpenStep 4.0 and OpenStep 4.1, see http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/releasenotes/cocoa/ AppKitOlderNotes.html#OpenStepNotes):

NSApplication: ... In addition, all command-line options that are not defaults options (meaning a pair of arguments where the first one starts with a "-") are now treated as file names to be
  opened, as if they were prefixed with -NSOpen.

So it is not specific to document based applications (which did not exist at that time anyway).

Wolfgang