Re: Lack of documentation on how to compile hello world on windows

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Lack of documentation on how to compile hello world on windows
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 16:34:36 +0100

On 12 Sep 2010, at 11:36, gnustepnewbie wrote:

> I have wandered all around the web to just compile my hello world none of the
> examples given worked for the latest version I downloaded.

That sounds very strange.

> So how to really do such a simple stuff as this doesn't work:
>
> gcc -o hello hello.m -I /GNUstep/System/Library/Headers -L
> /GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries -lobjc -lgnustep-base
> -fconstant-string-class=NSConstantString

Did you really find *any* examples which said you should do that?  All the
examples I know of tell you to use 'make', rather than trying to use gcc
directly.

So for instance, a 'hello' program might be built by typing 'make' after
creating a file called 'GNUmakefile' with contents like this:

ifeq ($(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES),)
 GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES := $(shell gnustep-config --variable=GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES
2>/dev/null)
  ifeq ($(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES),)
    $(error You need to set GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES before compiling!)
  endif
endif

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

TOOL_NAME = hello

hello_OBJC_FILES = hello.m

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/tool.make