Re: www.gnustep.org should change screenshot

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: www.gnustep.org should change screenshot
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 22:04:05 +0700

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Riccardo Mottola <multix@ngi.it> wrote:
> Hi,
>>
>> I think this is the problem. Why do you compare GNOME environment with
>> GNUstep toolkit? At least it contradict with the default purpose
>> (which I don't agree with) of a free Cocoa clone.
>>

> Because I don't agree either. However we are a powerful framework, but
> what's the best way to showcase it if not our own "product"?
>
> In any case, check the homepage of www.gtk.org
>
> It is easy, simple... actually I don't like it too much, but it is clear. It
> contains to much information, but gives easy access to the goals and to
> sections of the site. We are not that distant (also because... during the
> last web-design remake we used that for inspiration...).
>
> It doesn't try to showcase GTK on windows and mac and linux! It doesn't show
> glade either.

If you want to go without any screenshot on the front page, I am all
for that too. Actually it was my first idea but it seems people want
one.

> They have a pretty complete screenshot gallery though.
>
> Now I think it is nice to have a few glimpses like we do right now (and we
> always did).

IMhO, some glimpse could be nice, but should be like QT's.
http://qt.nokia.com/products

> If it is really preceived as important, we can make a screenshot gallery
> too. The screenshots on the website are tied to the direct purpose, like
> showing application X or feature Y.
>
> Perhaps the Wiki could have a screen shot section? That way many members
> could contribute their different environments, showing our versatility.

Absolutely agree on this. Just hate the Wiki's permission block.

> If somebody is versed in Wiki, please produce a template so that the
> screenshots show like a media gallery and enlarge when clicked. I would ask
> to add, if possible, date, revision, OS and version(s) of the applications
> so that they can be sorted. For the curious a big choice including history,
> for the one in hurry a glance on the latest stuff.
>
> Volunteers?

I vote for letting Wikia to maintain the part until we can afford
something. Possible?

--
    .----.     Banlu Kemiyatorn
  /.../\...\   Free Software Yogi