Re: GNOME Theme Improvements....

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: GNOME Theme Improvements....
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 18:16:48 +0000

We already have support for top-of-screen menu bars.  GNUstep provides a simple
one, and Étoilé extends this with a menu server.  Gregory is merging the Étoilé
patches so that GNUstep will automatically use a menu server if one is
available, or use the entire top of the screen if not.

Both top-of-screen and in-window menus share some code, because they both need
to move things like the default hide and quit menu items from the top-level
menu into the application menu, and they both need to make the menu draw
horizontally (just in a different location).

The in-window menu is very important for integration with foreign environments,
such as Windows and GNOME, because that is how all of the other applications on
the system behave.  It doesn't matter how much better Mac-style top-of-screen
menu bars or NeXT-style menu bars are in theory - they are much worse if you
are the only application that does it.

If we want GNUstep to be the best development for GNOME and Windows desktops
(which I do, and I hope others do!), then we need good in-window menus, and I'm
really please do see the progress that Gregory has made in integration with
these platforms recently.  A user should not be able to easily tell the
difference between a GTK or Win32 app and a GNUstep app, and it's become
considerably harder for them to do so in the last year as a result of the theme
work by Gregory and others.

David