Re: question about low availability of Mac OS X applications that has Gn

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: question about low availability of Mac OS X applications that has GnuStep edition
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:06:11 +0000

I'd say it's a combination of several things:

1) GNUstep is really bad at marketing.  I've met a lot of Cocoa programmers who
have never heard of it.

2) There's no such thing as porting to GNUstep.  There's porting to Windows
using GNUstep, porting to FreeBSD using GNUstep, porting to Linux using GNUstep
(which typically means porting to some specific distro, using GNUstep).  With
the exception of Windows, most of these platforms have such a small commercial
software market that it's not worthwhile even small amounts of effort for a
port, and the Windows version of GNUstep is even less well-known than the *NIX
version.

3) AppKit compatibility is not as good as it could be.  Apple has been
encouraging the use of bindings for ages (since 10.2), because they massively
reduce the amount of boring code that you need to write, but GNUstep only has
working bindings in some simple cases.  Gorm still doesn't support bindings, so
it's very hard for people to test bindings code with GNUstep - they either need
to set them up manually or use Interface Builder on OS X to create nibs (which
may not work - no idea how well bindings support in our nib loader works).

4) There are other frameworks that are missing.  We have a CoreGraphics
implementation, but it's not yet integrated into the rest of the system, which
makes it largely useless.  CoreAnimation depends on CoreGraphics quite heavily,
so we can't do the one until the other is finished.  Apps that use QuickTime
need to be ported to libavcodec or similar (I don't think we'll ever write a
QuickTime drop-in replacement, although I might write an AVFoundation
replacement, since it seems like a cleaner API, and hopefully it will appear on
OS X 10.7).

There are quite a few hippyware Cocoa apps that have GNUstep versions, but
these are usually not done by the original author.

Cenon and TestPlant are the only two commercial off-the-shelf packages that I
know of with GNUstep ports.

David