Re: question about low availability of Mac OS X applications that has Gn

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: question about low availability of Mac OS X applications that has GnuStep edition
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 23:25:19 +0100

Hi,

Zhang Weiwu, Beijing wrote:
Hi. I have one question as a stupid user: why there is no commercial Mac
OS X application that was ever offered also offer GNU Step binary?

because there are? TestPlant and Cenon come to my mind.

Generally, if you code with some care, porting is very easy, I have several aps which are cross-platform. However "GNUstep" is not a defined target.

Most people will think of using GNUstep as a means to port a Mac app to Windows since that is the real target and a stable target (where also the concept of "binary" has a complete sense).

Linux, *BSD, Solaris... a big mess, don't you think? A maze...
GNUstep has its shortcomings, but I think that generally Linux is not such a well-defined and interesting target for many applications. Sadly perhaps, but it is reality.

Riccardo