Versioning of GNUstep libraries

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Versioning of GNUstep libraries
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 14:53:46 +0200

I've noticed that every GNUstep submodule has its own versioning system. It's
quite difficult to know which libraries come from which era; for example, I'm
not sure if MacPorts people have kept various versions "in sync" (after
updating version of gnustep-base, did they also update version of gnustep-gui?)
and comparing release dates of various versions is... well, not good.

What do you guys think about getting "core system" in sync with regards to
versioning? For example, since gnustep-base unstable is currently 1.21.1, and
presumably the next stable release 1.22.0, it may be a good idea to release
everything as 1.22.0. Internally, it doesn't matter what the versions are
labelled as, but currently, this poses a practical problem of knowing which
library comes from which era.

Perhaps it might be even BETTER idea to adopt Ubuntu-style versioning (which
Code::Blocks is also using successfully): labeling release by year and date.
For example, gnustep-base 11.06 or whatever the date might be sounds like a
good, practical thing to me, while 0.18.0 and 1.20.1 mean nothing to me.

--
Ivan Vučica
ivan@vucica.net - http://ivan.vucica.net/