Re: Extremely poor quality of GNUStep applications

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Extremely poor quality of GNUStep applications
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 10:17:36 +0200

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 09:16, Sebastian Reitenbach <sebastia@l00-bugdead-prods.de> wrote:
Speaking for me as a user, I'd also prefer to take software from the official
ports tree of my preferred OS, than from anywhere else. Speaking for me as a
porter, I'd prefer to port an application from wherever, to the official ports
tree of my preferred OS, because this is what most users use and trust anyway.
To make this kind of unified installer or source tree or ports collection or
however you want to call it, will probably become very tedious, and hard to
maintain.

I also prefer using distribution/operating system's installation system. Having something GNUstep specific would perhaps allow developing a more specialized GUI that would always fetch latest source no matter what OS.

When someone upgrades one part, it ideally must be tested for
fallout on all supported OS/Platform combinations, to make sure everything
still works, or even provide packages. I don't think there is the manpower,
and hardware available to do all this.

This is indeed a problem. But I see no other way to properly support, for example, Windows, and provide a unified experience for GNUstep applications across all platforms.

--
Ivan Vučica
ivan@vucica.net