TextEdit / Ink, Was Re: Extremely poor quality of GNUStep applications

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: TextEdit / Ink, Was Re: Extremely poor quality of GNUStep applications
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 20:43:14 +0200

Hi,

Split the topic a bit, what is the role difference between Ink and TextEdit? I just tried TextEdit (attracted by the name obviously a text editor and by the fact it's mentioned on wikipedia's gnustep page) and found it offered most basic RTF editing feature with a lot of failures. Since this list is not about complaining non-gnustep application, I'll only go this far mentioning it.
the two applications have a totally different origin. Ink is a from-scratch implementation and is released under GPL. TextEdit is the original OpenStep application which was just recompiled to show gnustep's compatibility. TextEdit was supplied with source code as example. It is not GPL.

I would not expect TextEdit to have any kind of failures, if it has, it is most probably a GNUstep bug (or a behaviour you are not expecting from the original TextEdit application).

Perhaps it would be good to mention the problems you have with TextEdit. They could hint a GNUstep bug.

Riccardo