Installing GNUstep on FreeBSD

From: dr_clow
Subject: Installing GNUstep on FreeBSD
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 16:09:35 -0500

Hi guys,

A while back I mentioned that I had been working on a new IDE for GNUstep. I am now testing out the different environments that GNUsteps runs to learn more about what I will need to do to make it work best on clean systems. Anyways, I am far from terminal loving expert and was just wondering if I could get some help installing a fresh GNUstep environment on FreeBSD. I simply want the simplest configuration with wmaker, cairo, Objectve-C 2.0, gnu-base, gnu-gui, et cetera. I have been trying for days to simply compile GNUstep on FreeBSD 9.0  fresh instillation using the various instructions on the internet and keep getting all sorts of errors. I would like to simply use the ports available on FreeBSD to do the job, but have found instructions which include changing configuration files, to changing etc/make.conf. Where the instructions on the GNUStep website is as easy as

cd /usr/ports/devel/gnustep
make install clean

Where I get a 'needs compiler' error. But Clang and GCC are installed.

I do not prefer to use an SVN, I was having more problems with that then I wanted.

Then there are these <http://www.freebsdonline.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=932> instructions.

I have tried getting Étoilé to install as well using their instructions, but since I can't even get past the GNUstep part, it seems to fail for me.

I am learning fast, and eventually I want to release the IDE I am developing for both OS X and GNUstep/FreeBSD (clean environment). Any help appreciated.

Also, It seems that Ubuntu is the easiest to get it running on, but I think I'd prefer something with out another setup already installed.

- Austin