Re: problem with base and non-fragile ABI

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: problem with base and non-fragile ABI
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 16:11:15 +0200

On 24. 9. 2012., at 11:23, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:

On an unrelated note, has anyone tried using CMake to compile GNUstep applications?  I have been very impressed with the combination of CMake and Ninja as a build system for LLVM.

I'm not sure why, but I have a dislike for CMake. Whenever I run into it, I run into a problem as well.

For example, over the weekend I was supposed to compile a library for iOS. After figuring out that all configuration tests were failing (so that, for example, the header defining uint32_t and friends could not be found), I spent an afternoon trying to find out which command line is being used to compile the test program so I could see why the compiler is failing.

All online instructions help with getting verbose output from the generated makefile -- but I'm having troubles with generating the makefile.

All in all, I'm not too impressed with CMake. On surface, it indeed looks like a lot easier and readable way to write build systems. But I get the feeling that it comes with its own set of problems.

Maybe it's just me.