Re: problem with base and non-fragile ABI

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: problem with base and non-fragile ABI
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 11:16:56 +0200

Hi,

David Chisnall wrote:
On 24 Sep 2012, at 09:32, Niels Grewe wrote:

This
is not by any chance on a *BSD platform? I think David made clang
default to the non-fragile ABI for some of them…)
I believe the current release defaults to the non-fragile ABI on *BSD
(including Darwin, but a different non-fragile ABI there) but assumes Linux ==
GNU == GCC and so defaults to the legacy ABI there.

In trunk, --fobjc-nonfragile-abi is regarded as a legacy-compatibility option.
The correct way of selecting it is -fobjc-runtime=gnustep, ideally with a
version specified (currently it defaults to 1.7, and each clang release will
default to the latest runtime release that it supports).

configure:5635: checking whether we should use the nonfragile ABI
configure:5676: result: not requested by user

this is my make.log. I did not specifically enable it (= I did not use any extra flag). I suppose that clang enables it anyway? Base is conflicting with what make declares.

It is also fun that GCC is being checked while I use clang :)
configure:5719: checking for the GCC version
configure:5746: result: version: 4.2
configure:5767: checking whether the compiler supports native ObjC exceptions configure:5795: /usr/local/bin/clang -c -g -O2 -x objective-c -I. -I/usr/local/include -I/Local/Library/Headers -L/usr/local/lib -L/Local/Library/Libraries -fgnu-runtime -DGNU_RUNTIME -fexceptions -fobjc-exceptions conftest.c >&5
clang: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-L/usr/local/lib'
clang: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-L/Local/Library/Libraries'

Riccardo