Re: Installing GNUstep on FreeBSD

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Installing GNUstep on FreeBSD
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 09:43:09 +0200

Hi,
Hi guys,

A while back I mentioned that I had been working on a new IDE for GNUstep. I am now testing out the different environments that GNUsteps runs to learn more about what I will need to do to make it work best on clean systems. Anyways, I am far from terminal loving expert and was just wondering if I could get some help installing a fresh GNUstep environment on FreeBSD. I simply want the simplest configuration with wmaker, cairo, Objectve-C 2.0, gnu-base, gnu-gui, /et cetera/. I have been trying for days to simply compile GNUstep on FreeBSD 9.0 fresh instillation using the various instructions on the internet and keep getting all sorts of errors. I would like to simply use the ports available on FreeBSD to do the job, but have found instructions which include changing configuration files, to changing etc/make.conf. Where the instructions on the GNUStep website is as easy as

Where I get a 'needs compiler' error. But Clang and GCC are installed.
Ports should install clenaly, or there is a bug in ports. I think the freebsd maintainers read this list, but you should rebort the bugs directly to freebsd.

FreeBSD's 9 default compilers are crippled; gcc got obj-c supprot removed sinve freebsd8 and thus cannot compile GS, while the default clang doesn't work either. But you can install gcc or clang from ports and then instruct make to use it.

I am running gnustep on freebsd compiled from sources without troubles.

each time you configure, do:
./configure CC=/usr/local/bin/clang

(or the equivalent to your gcc installed from ports, to override the default gcc and clang compilers).

For packages that do not need configure, you don't need this, they will just work fine with "make".

I do not prefer to use an SVN, I was having more problems with that then I wanted.
Agreed, it is a bad advice that is often given by developers. However you can get easily the nightly tarballs that get generated each day as well as release tarballs, if the releases aren't current enough for you.

I am learning fast, and eventually I want to release the IDE I am developing for both OS X and GNUstep/FreeBSD (clean environment). Any help appreciated.

Also, It seems that Ubuntu is the easiest to get it running on, but I think I'd prefer something with out another setup already installed.

For the quickest way, there is a read-made ISO image for virtual machine, one step to gnustep.

Installing GS is really simple on most platforms: configure && make install. On FreeBSD 9 you have the

Riccardo