Re: GNUstep BUFFER OVERFLOWS

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep BUFFER OVERFLOWS
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 10:52:40 +0000

Perhap[s you could provide a stacktrace to show exactly where the problems are?

On 29 Dec 2013, at 05:51, a b <a_bright2@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 1)    BUFFER OVERFLOW on QueryInformationVolume for the local harddisk when
>              the application starts

With a quick look at the code in gnustep-base, I couldn't find
QueryInformationVolume.  Is this perhaps called indirectly somhow?

> 2)    BUFFER OVERFLOW (Length = 144)       for keys
>
> HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services\WinSock2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9
>                       \Catalog_Entries\00000000000x\PackedCatalogItem
>        ALL of these keys, where x = 0 to MAX_ENTRY

Similarly, I don't think the gnustep code queries this stuff directly ... could
you please get a stack trace to show how it occurs.

> 3)    BUFFER TOO SMALL  when accessing key
>              HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones

Looking at this, the calls to accessd this key appear to use correctly sized
buffers for the kmey handle ... but then that handle is used to access values
from the registry.
Could it be one of  the calls to retrieve values which is generating the error,
rather than the calls to get the key?