Re: Compiling on openbsd with gcc4.8, executables fail to run

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Compiling on openbsd with gcc4.8, executables fail to run
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 11:20:37 +0000

On 7 Jan 2014, at 11:14, Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> wrote:

> Am 07.01.2014 02:00, schrieb Riccardo Mottola:
>> Ah, interesting. I think it would make sense, doesn't it?
>> Candidates would be CC and CXX, but also CFLAGS and LDFLAGS.
>>
>> I should perhaps copy that CC part into gworkspace and other configure
>> runnig stuff, I didn't know about it
>
> Aren't these variables a good candidate for GNUstep.sh? This way you get
> it even for new applications.

Not really, because then they're difficult to override on the command line.
Ideally, we'd have gnustep-config able to provide the [OBJ]C[XX]FLAGS so that
you could do things like:

$ gmake OBJCFLAGS="`gnustep-config --objc-flags` -fno-foo"

You'd also be able to do some more complex things in makefiles, detecting if
the compiler is provided on the command line (and so should take precedence
over your default), or is just the standard ObjC compiler for this system
(which you may want to override if it doesn't support the features you need).

David

-- Sent from my Difference Engine