Re: Emacs and GNUstep

From: Germán Arias
Subject: Re: Emacs and GNUstep
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2014 13:29:56 -0600

On 2014-03-09 03:16:57 -0600 Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how is the actual state of Emacs on GNUstep? Is there any semi-working
> distribution? We used to have two different forks, which both worked on
> GNUstep and and on old Mac 10.2/10.3... one replaced the other (Aquamacs? I
> don't remember). BUt I remember testing!!
>
> Then things got into the main Emacs branch and newer Mac and got required and
> I never got GNUstep working...
>
> I think it is time to get the editor I use anyway for objective-c with our
> nice interface and menus! The GTK3 version is just unbearable ;)
>
> Riccardo

The state has not changed, emacs with ns compile fine but crash at launch in
some distributions. Anyway, if run, is very slow, the scrollbar is a disaster,
if you resize the window the buffer stay with a fixed size. And many other
problems.

However Yamamoto Mitsuharu is working in a port for Mac OS. He is not
interested in put this at emacs trunk. And I have not tested it, but we can
take ideas. See:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-02/msg00592.html

Other solution is make an app based in Terminal.app (plus improvements) to
allow run emacs. I tried this some years ago, but unfortunately I lost this
app. But if I remember correctly, this took two days or so of work to read
mouse events.

Germán.