Re: IA: regular-gnustep.iso LiveCD (stable builds available)

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: IA: regular-gnustep.iso LiveCD (stable builds available)
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 17:12:55 +0200

Hi,

Michael Shigorin wrote:
On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 08:10:14AM -0800, Dan Hitt wrote:
I did install on a partition and i do have a few technical questions.
Thank you, Dan.  My silly overengineering with r8168 driver has
been sorted out, and here are the images built on stable branch
in addition to the ever-changing Sisyphus based ones:
http://en.altlinux.org/Starterkits/gnustep

That's great! It makes me a little proud to see screenshots of programs I developed or fixed myself inside a finished distribution! Warms your heart slightly....

Did you package GWorkspace? I miss it from the screenshots...

And BatteryMonitor?

perhaps you could add a list of packaged apps. The menus look impressive, you must have packaged a lot of stuff!
---

Reactions were varying from "gorgeous!" to "you won't setup
an office girl with this" to "you won't sell it unless it's slick
and pretty out-of-box" (as if I was selling these images in the
first place, heh).
Different opinions are normal. Someone wants something super-sleek, someone wants something classic and traditional. Otherwise we wouldn't have so many desktop environments, discussion for themes, etc etc.

Have you packaged SystemPreferences and a couple of themes?

Maybe some sort of user experience "bootstrap" is due, any kind
of advice including "how could you miss the $URL" is much welcome
(I'm a seasoned WM user but rather newbie to GS).

Well, bugzilla says zarro boogs :) )

But the most improtant stuff is probably for you:
1) improve and complete themes
2) improve and complete existing apps
3) new apps

You deliver a GNUstep environment after all and we know it is sadly incomplete or buggy...

Riccardo