Re: Plans for ahead

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Plans for ahead
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 16:25:36 +0100

Hi,

David Chisnall wrote:
I agree.  The FreeBSD GNUstep packages include a lot of things, but you need to
do a lot of tinkering to make them integrate even vaguely with typical
environments.  For the ones that we use in the lab, I’ve configured a more
modern looking theme[1] and the in-window menus.  With this, the apps still
look fairly distinctive, but work quite well and people don’t complain.

I absolutely want "our" menus, they are distinctive and useful and if I were to make a reference distribution, I'd want to retain that.

You have the opposite problem, you want to deploy a certain GS application into a non-GS environment.
I know the pain, I have exactly the same need!

I have my app, I have an in-window menu theme (in this case needed because you are the foreign thing to fit into Windows or GNOME). But then still every single user needs to "set" the theme for himself.

This is the problem I often referred to, where I want to be able to "set" a default preference for a user. Or to have certain preferences pre-set inside a plist. A way so that once installed an pp sets some defaults to itself. System wide defaults? When installing with a package one could do perhaps a post-installation script, but that is not my case.

I think this is the opposite of the original topic, but still very useful to solve.

Riccardo