Re: Swift is now open source (Apache 2 License)

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Swift is now open source (Apache 2 License)
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 19:30:40 -0500

Svetlana,

The question is not whether savannah supports git.   The question is two fold:

1) Why has it taken the savannah-hackers TWO WEEKS to add the repos to GNUstep?
2) Why is savannah incapable of handling adding repos when needed with
a gosh-darned button!?? :)  (github/gitlab/etc... allow this)

I am concerned, as a practical matter, NOT a political one, about our
ability to work with this kind of snails pace slowness that exists on
savannah.

I was on the list for gnu-prog-discuss when RMS and others said they
would rather not have Free Software projects on github due to the lack
of Free/Open Source JS on the site.  My feeling is this... if we start
going down roads like this where we are restricting where we put the
software (e.g. NOT github, but over here, or over there based on
freedom of the software used to host the site) and / or where we
deploy the software (whether we run on rPi because it has a
proprietary GPU blob... and I challenge you to find a platform which
doesn't do such a thing) then we start going down a slippery slope.

We, collectively as free software advocates, are going to shoot
ourselves in the foot of we keep this up.   The problem also in part
is this... if RMS et al are going to set down edicts that Free
Software does not belong on Savannah then I would say one of three
things needs to happen:

1) Savannah needs to be updated drastically such that simple
operations, such as adding a repo, do not become administrative issues
that take weeks to resolve.

2) Projects which disagree with the edict need to disobey and use github anyway.

3) Projects need to get out from under the GNU umbrella so as not to
be subject to such short sighted rules.

If you are going to cut people off from using a useful tool... please
provide a tool which is just as useful in return.

Gitlab is another alternative.  Additionally there are some sites
which we should research that could do better.   I have a gitlab
instance set up and wouldn't mind hosting things here.  It's been up
for months and hasn't crashed yet.

GC