Re: Please, no GitHub

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Please, no GitHub
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 00:00:41 -0500

  > As far as I can see,  the existance of the Github JSON API [1] allows it
  > to meet all of the criteria in section C of that document,  and hence be
  > an acceptable host.

I think you've misunderstood the meaning of some conditionss.

    <li id="C0"><p>All important site functionality that’s enabled for use
        with that package works correctly (though it need not look
        as nice) in free browsers, including
        without running any nonfree software sent by the

means that if you visit the site normally, with nonfree JS code blocked,
the site works normally.

I think you are talking about something quite different, such as whether
you could write some other interface that would work.  Maybe you could,
but that is not what C0 is about.

    <li id="C5"><p>Recommends and encourages GPL 3-or-later licensing at
        least as much as any other kind of licensing.

Since you talk about offering a "choice", I think you may have
misinterpreted "Recommends and encourages" as "permits".

I don't know if we could make our criteria bulletproof against
misunderstanding, but I will continue to clarify the meaning as needed.

--
Dr Richard Stallman