Re: Please, no GitHub

From: Maxthon Chan
Subject: Re: Please, no GitHub
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 17:32:18 +0800

Richard:

> On Dec 12, 2015, at 13:00, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

>> As far as I can see,  the existance of the Github JSON API [1] allows it
>> to meet all of the criteria in section C of that document,  and hence be
>> an acceptable host.
>
> I think you've misunderstood the meaning of some conditionss.
>
>    <li id="C0"><p>All important site functionality that’s enabled for use
>        with that package works correctly (though it need not look
>        as nice) in free browsers, including
>        without running any nonfree software sent by the
>
> means that if you visit the site normally, with nonfree JS code blocked,
> the site works normally.
>
> I think you are talking about something quite different, such as whether
> you could write some other interface that would work.  Maybe you could,
> but that is not what C0 is about.

They exposed **every single** site functionality through the API (in fact, the
Web interface itself uses the API to do its business, so it is safe to say that
https://github.com/ is no more than one of the several available front-ends for
https://api.github.com/) so https://api.github.com/ is satisfying this criteria.

>    <li id="C5"><p>Recommends and encourages GPL 3-or-later licensing at
>        least as much as any other kind of licensing.
>
> Since you talk about offering a "choice", I think you may have
> misinterpreted "Recommends and encourages" as "permits”.

Their website and API are license-blind. Github have a “choose a license”
website that put GPL at the same level of recommendation as Apache 2.0 and
MIT/X11 license. Due to **practical reasons** people are **avoiding** GPLv3
(you may need to check the reason why folks are doing this, or GPLv3 will soon
become the license of past,) so their recommendation is GPLv2+ for GPL.