Re: Please, no GitHub

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Please, no GitHub
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 01:51:06 -0500

  > Well,  I just created a repo there using a browser with JS disabled
(firefox+noscript),
  > using the web interface.  It worked quite happily.

Our investigators reported that there are operations in the site that
require running nonfree JS code.  I got a list, but don't remember it.
It is good that the operation of creating a repo does not have this
problem, but that doesn't erase the problems with other operations.

  > Actually,  while I did imply something similar,  my position is more that
due to
  > the nature of git,  any extras which a hosting provider offers over and
above
  > that available through the git protocol are irrelevant.

They are relevant because they influence what users do.
If the operations are useful enough that people want to use them,
then their dependence on nonfree JS will lead people to run nonfree JS.

The basic principle of the free software movement is that nonfree
software is an injustice.  If we directed people to run nonfree
software, that action would contradict our views.

--
Dr Richard Stallman