Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 11:27:32 +0000

On 17 Feb 2016, at 10:51, Thom Cherryhomes <thom.cherryhomes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why is it? I am trying to put a very visual and demonstrative face on what I
> am experiencing, in the hope of disrupting the community out of its apparent
> complacency.

Because you claim that you want to engage with the community.  If this is
actually your intent (which, given your reply to Riccardo, I now doubt - it is
not acceptable to insult any member of the community like that, irrespective of
your view of their contribution) then you should do so in a form that permits
reply.  If you write some text, even some text with inline references to
pictures / videos, then people can easily quote sections and reply, having
given it some careful thought.  There is no equivalent to this in video form.

Additionally, watching a video imposes a much higher burden on the people that
you claim that you are trying to engage with.  It’s not something that can be
done at work in between other activities, for example.  It’s something where
people have to find a free hour to listen to you and then watch it at a pace
chosen by you, not the reader.

If you are trying to productively engage with a community, then you have chosen
a poor medium.  If you are trying to insult people and stroke your own ego,
then you have chosen the ideal one.  Given this, don’t be surprised if people
do not infer that your motives are productive.

David

-- Sent from my Apple II