Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 12:01:32 -0500

Riccardo

On Wednesday, February 17, 2016, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
Hi,

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
Lack of manpower (and perhaps poisitive incentive) leadss to slow progress, but that’s very different from complacency.
Nobody needs disrupting/shocking out of complacency, what’s needed is contributions to actually fix bugs and implement missing features.

You speak out of my heart.

Also, I watched the video and none of the mentioned "problems" was really new to me and several of them already ave a bug open

Actually the video itself shows how much has already been accomplished
If done with current SVN stuff, I suppose (and hope) that some of the mentioned problems have been solved. Some of them directly by myself and some by you.

Undoubtedly some of these have been addressed in current SVN.  Most users interested in using GNUstep won't see this as the functionality is not in our current packages for Windows.

We all know our best experience is on Linux and BSD.  But we do get a lot of Windows users who get discouraged because of the lack of updates to our windows packages.

We are losing potential manpower by discouraging prospective users due to the poor experience we are giving them on Windows.  This is not just due to the Windows theme but it is due to a number of factors.

I think that’s what Riccardo was saying, and while I can see how you might think his response was insulting to your effort, please consider that;
a. he’s frustrated by the fact that, over the years, he’s repeatedly been told that his work is not good enough, by people who aren’t actually contributing code improvements themselves
b. your response to a (possibly misinterpreted/imagined) insult was to be extremely, disproportionately insulting (at least we are left in no doubt about whether you intended to be insulting or not)

I did not want to insult, I just wanted to be a little harsh about the methods and contents, feeling a little offended by the video. I ask forgiveness and hope that made my position clearer.. While with Thom there were no doubts about his intentions in his latter mail.

I think it's unfair to color his intentions in writing the original email based on his earlier response.   I believe his intentions are good and should be taken as such. The issues in his video need to be addressed.

Riccardo