A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows

From: Thom Cherryhomes
Subject: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 06:37:40 +0000

Hello, Everyone. It has been a very long time since I last posted here.

I have been a long time friend of Greg, and we've been talking about GNUstep for many years. I have also been a passive viewer of the GNUstep mailing lists.

As some of you know, I, like Greg am a professional software developer, and massive fan of GNUstep, and its relationship with Cocoa, etc. I love what GNUstep potentially could be, the most elegant of all of the free software toolkits.

It is from this love, that I am producing a series of disruptive critiques of GNUstep's corrent state, the first of which, is the current state of GNUstep development viability on Windows. I do not pull punches, and I may make a lot of you mad, but it is all for the intention of bringing to light, things that need to be addressed, as I believe this community has become that deadly combination of insular, and comfortable with the system in its current state. I can speak from experience: this puts a project in a state of stagnation, which can be very difficult to pull itself out of. I deliberately am doing this from the perspective of an outsider, coming into the project, unaware of the various band-aids applied to make things function, with a view to constructively point out, what needs to be done, and in future videos, how it can be done.

Above all, the intent is to stimulate contemplation, self reflection, and discussion of these issues.

The video is here:

https://vimeo.com/155628498

Thank you for your consideration.
-Thom