Re: crash upon startup in GWorkcenter, Recycler, ProjectCenter and Gorm

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: crash upon startup in GWorkcenter, Recycler, ProjectCenter and Gorm
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 19:53:38 +0000

> On 21 Dec 2017, at 19:03, Josh Freeman <gnustep_lists@twilightedge.com> wrote:
>

> On Dec 20, 2017, at 9:16 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>
>>> On 19 Dec 2017, at 20:33, Josh Freeman <gnustep_lists@twilightedge.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Tom,
>>>
>>> This appears to be the same issue as the Base/GUI ivar-offset mismatch that
>>> was discussed back in April [1] & June [2].
>>>
>>> While the issue still hasn't been fixed, there is a workaround, which is to
>>> use an older version of GNUstep Make.
>>>
>>> However, the workaround is already included in the "16.04, 16.10, & 17.04"
>>> install script at
>>> http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstep_under_Ubuntu_Linux , so did you
>>> happen to make any changes to the script before running it, or perhaps run
>>> it on a machine that already had an earlier GNUstep install? (I just tried
>>> the wiki script on a clean, up-to-date Ubuntu 16.04 VM (32bit) - the only
>>> script change was to set the PROMPT var to 'false' to avoid having to press
>>> <Return> after each build - and the built apps seem to run OK).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Josh
>>>

>>> [1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2017-04/msg00070.html
>>> [2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2017-06/msg00026.html
>>
>> gnustep-make has been using -fobjc-runtime= rather than
>> -fobjc-nonfragile-abi for quita long time, but I just found that the
>> gnustep-base configure script was still adding the obsolete
>> -fobjc-nonfragile-abi flag when building nonfragile
>> I've just removed that addition of  -fobjc-nonfragile-abi from the current
>> gnustep-base in git, so if gnustep is built for the new runtime with clang
>> (the ng-gnu-gnu library combo) neither make nor base should add ther old
>> flag.
>>

>   Just tried the Ubuntu script from the wiki on a clean, up-to-date Ubuntu
> 16.04 VM (32bit), but changed the script to use the current gnustep-make
> instead of the old version (removed the workaround for the ivar-offset
> issue). Gnustep-base now fails to build, with the following error(s):
>
> Compiling file GSConcreteValue.m ...
> In file included from In file included from In file included from
> GSBlocks.m:23:
> In file included from ../Headers/Foundation/NSObject.h:30:
> In file included from ../Headers/Foundation/NSObjCRuntime.h:38:
> ../Headers/GNUstepBase/GSVersionMacros.h:290:10: error: "You are building
> gnustep-base using the objc-nonfragile-abi but your
>      gnustep-base was not configured to use it."
> #        error "You are building gnustep-base using the objc-nonfragile-abi
> but your gnustep-base was not configured to use it."

That would seem to suggest you have gnustep-make trying to use clang and the
new runtime but gnustep-base expecting to use gcc and the gnu runtime.
Could it be that you forgot to set the library combo for the modern
compiler/runtime rather than the traditional one?
The gnustep-base configure script should recognise the library combo (from the
environment or from gnustep-make) when figuring out how to configure itself;
traditional (gnu runtime in the library combo) implies traditional abi
modern, next-generation (ng runtime in the library combo) implies the
nonfragile abi