Re: crash upon startup in GWorkcenter, Recycler, ProjectCenter and Gorm

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: crash upon startup in GWorkcenter, Recycler, ProjectCenter and Gorm
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 16:49:33 +0000

> On 22 Dec 2017, at 15:05, Richard Frith-Macdonald
> <richard.frith-macdonald@theengagehub.com> wrote:
>

> I then checked that both NSThread.m and NSGraphicsContext.m were compiled by
> clang with  -D_NONFRAGILE_ABI=1 and -fobjc-runtime=gnustep-1.8
>
> On a hunch, I looked at the ivar layout in NSThread and swapped the order of
> _gcontext and _autorelease_vars  ... after rebuilding with the id before the
> struct rather than after it, the GUI testcases passed.
> Reverting to the original order of ivars and rebuilding again ... the
> testcases failed again.
>
> I think that's a possible indication of a bug in the compiler/runtime
> nonfragile API support;  it looks as if there may be an inconsistency in
> calculating the size of a structure used as an ivar.

I tried a look at libobc2 ... starting with 'make test':

The following tests FAILED:
          9 - BlockImpTest (SEGFAULT)
         10 - BlockImpTest_optimised (SEGFAULT)
         39 - WeakReferences_arc (OTHER_FAULT)
         40 - WeakReferences_arc_optimised (OTHER_FAULT)

Now, none of those sound like they would be relevant, but it does make me
wonder if there's something with the build of the runtime that migth be causing
this.