Re: Bugs in gui/back

From: Liam Proven
Subject: Re: Bugs in gui/back
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 17:38:28 +0200

On 24 April 2018 at 19:06, Andreas Höschler <ahoesch@smartsoft.de> wrote:

> I tried to get Window Maker to run to figure out whether the problem is
> window manager related. I did
> add-apt-repository ppa:profzoom/wmaker
> apt-get update
> apt-get install wmaker

Oh dear. Why do it this way?

Did you not look at the date on that article? It was from *six years
ago*, an extremely long time in FOSS terms. It was designed for a
version of Ubuntu *eighte versions* older than yours.

I'm afraid I'm not surprised it broke it.

Window Maker is in the Ubuntu repositories. You didn't need to add 3rd
party sources which are by nature far less well-tested.

> Any experiences with Window Maker and its installation on an Ubuntu 16.04
> system?

Yes, I installed it from the repos and it worked fine for me.

Do a clean install of 16.04. Then add the Synaptic graphical package manager.

Add in the latest hardware enablement update. (If you download a new
copy this should be built in.)

Install the build essentials.

Then install Window Maker from the repos. Google for how. *Include the
Ubuntu version numbers.* For more guidance, ask on the Ubuntu mailing
list -- there are some skilled folk there.

Then follow the GNUstep build instructions.

Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven@gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053