Re: Bugs in gui/back

From: Liam Proven
Subject: Re: Bugs in gui/back
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 17:43:19 +0200

On 25 April 2018 at 17:26, Andreas Höschler <ahoesch@smartsoft.de> wrote:

> It might be the time for a complete reinstall of the OS. Since the Linux was
> preinstalled on this machine I do not even have an install CD and would have
> to create one first. This brings me to the question which distro to use.

There is no right answer. There are  many strong factions in Linux
land and a lot of advocacy.

> What's the quickest and cleanest way to set up a Linux/GNUstep machine on
> current hardware? Which distro do you recommend? Is there a todo-list
> somewhere to get from naked hardware to a working GNUstep desktop somewhere?

I use Ubuntu at home and SUSE at work. I formerly worked for Red Hat.

For a desktop distro, at present, Ubuntu is as good as it gets. It is
simple, clean, polished and as easy as Linux gets, IMHO.

> These kind of problems made me stick to Solaris and MacOSX for so long. Both
> just worked. This Linux crap gives me a hard time .. :-(

Well, Solaris is dead now, sadly. Mac OS X is a fine OS and I also use
a Mac desktop at home, but it doesn't run well on cheap commodity
hardware. Personally, I hate the keyboards and trackpads on modern
Macs, so I don't use the laptops -- I use Thinkpads. Cheap used ones.
On them Ubuntu with Unity gives a very Mac-like experience.

What hardware do you have that came pre-installed?  I ask because it
may need drivers.

When it comes to generic hardware, as for re-installing it, download
16.04-04 from here:

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

You can make a bootable USB key on Windows, Mac or another Linux box.

Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven@gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053