Re: Bugs in gui/back

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Bugs in gui/back
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 16:54:51 +0200

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Höschler wrote:
What's the quickest and cleanest way to set up a Linux/GNUstep machine on current hardware? Which distro do you recommend? Is there a todo-list somewhere to get from naked hardware to a working GNUstep desktop somewhere?

That opens a can of worms!

However, I have a ThinkPad running Ubuntu 16 with WindowMaker, I took the time this weekend to update everythin, recompile all GNUstep and confirm it works perfectly.
Thus... there must be something specific on your side.

These kind of problems made me stick to Solaris and MacOSX for so long. Both just worked. This Linux crap gives me a hard time .. :-(

I understand and share the feeling. There is some sort of hurdle which Linux continues to have even if a great deal of complication got added.

Solaris is now just a niche server OS, since there are no more workstations.

If you still have it somewhere thouhg, I created and try to maintain several gnustep packages for it! I never announced it because I still miss some packages, howver, check on https://www.opencsw.org/ All the "core" stuff is there, I am in the process of upgrading the rest.

gnustep_back 0.26.0,REV=2018.04.29 GNUstep-core back
gnustep_base 1.25.1,REV=2018.03.26 GNUstep-core base
gnustep_gui 0.26.2,REV=2018.04.28 GNUstep-core gui
gnustep_make 2.7.0,REV=2018.01.30 GNUstep-core make

Riccardo